Portland is home to the first Women For WineSense chapter outside of Napa-Sonoma, and was founded in 1994.
Events are held at a variety of venues, including restaurants, wine bars, urban wineries and even members’ homes and gardens. We also hold an annual “Picnic in the Vineyard” event in Oregon’s Wine Country.
The Portland Chapter has a rich history, and was founded by an illustrious group of women, including:
- Susan Sokol-Blosser, founder of Sokol-Blosser (and honored at the 2015 Grand Event)
- Maria Ponzi of Ponzi Vineyards
- Elaine Cohen, Co-founder of Oregon Wine Press
- Nancy Daniel of Daniel Vineyards
- Marcia Bagnall of Bagnall Cellars
- Elise Killen-Pitterle, Co-founder of Champoeg Wine Cellars
Other important early members include Karen Hinsdale, owner of The Cellar Door, Heidi Yorkshire, author of several books about wine and a regular contributor to Bon Appetite Magazine, and Ken Wright, owner of Ken Wright Cellars. Another long-time supporter is Hilda Jones of Abacela Winery.
The Portland Chapter looks forward to continued growth in membership and exploring all Oregon has to offer in amazing wineries and fabulous wines. The chapter encourages members of other chapters to come and visit. We'd love to show you around!